Monday, August 07, 2006

Summer's Over, turn off the heat!

So sorry it's been so long, We have been on vacation and working on the POPIN website and getting ready for Preston's first day of school! Why we do all of this during the summertime is beyond me...it is sooo hot outside! My family went on vacation to Missouri with stops in Mississippi along the way to and from. Mike's family reunion is every July at Montauk State Park in Missouri. This was the first year we have gone because we always thought the kids were too young to travel 15 hours in a car. My best friend Beth loaned us her mini-van for the trip (I am forever grateful- yes, I am probably the last mom on the face of the earth that doesn't own a mini-van or SUV, but I get great gas mileage in my car!!!). My Mom also tagged along for part of the way. We went through Nesbit, Mississippi which is where my Mom's two brothers live so we stopped there the first night and Mom stayed with them while we went to the reunion. At the reunion we met a lot of relatives we have never met and did some fishing and bike riding. Besides it being like 115 degrees outside, we had a great time. Mike's brother and sister-in-law had a baby 6 months ago and it was our first time meeting him- it was wonderful holding a little baby again- and a neat feeling to be an Aunt. We stayed in this little cabin with a kitchen-and air-conditioning!Preston and Mike did most of the fishing and both caught 1, I tried my best but was unsuccessful. The last night we were there, Mike's cousin cooked all of the fish everyone caught and we had a feast! There were 50 people at the reunion and everyone brought food so there was never a shortage! We also got to stop at Graceland and do the touristy thing, I loved it, and surprisingly so did Preston. I guess he is finally getting to that age where he understands more than he doesn't. It was a self guided audio tour and he listened to it the entire time. We also stopped at all of the state line signs and took pics, which was a pain because we always hit a state line as soon as the kids would fall asleep, so we would wake them up and of course they wouldn't smile or look at the camera but hey, it will be a blast to scrapbook with! Mike did almost all of the driving so I got to stretch out in the back and enjoy the scenery. Thank heavens the mini-van had a DVD player so the kids were entertained the whole way. Mom and I stopped a couple of times at fabric stores on the way back and found some amazing deals! I also got to see my Uncles when we picked my Mom up and their kids who I haven't seen since I got married in 1998- they were my flower girls. They were all grown up! It is really nice to be home, I never thought I would miss my bed so much but I did. I think the kids are glad to be home too, there is just something comforting about knowing your surroundings. The past week Mike and I have been finishing up the work for the website and I am proud to say that you can now shop online at www.shoppopin.com. This weekend we went school shopping for Preston. I really like his teacher this year and hope that will get him to like school a little more. I thought getting new clothes, shoes and backpack would excite him but unless it has to do with playing golf, baseball or swimming, he just doesn't seem that interested. I hope that is normal for kids his age, at least boys. Here he is in his class this morning, faking a smile, telling me to get out of the class because I am embarrassing him! One day he will realize how cool I am, but I don't plan on it being any time soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SO excited to be able to shop online now! (Not that I'm not already in POPIN every other day) Sounds like you had a great trip! Preston is too cute at his desk. See you soon! ...Heather